How to install Spreadsheet::ParseExcel and HTM
Kaplan, Andrew H.
2004-01-21 20:09:12 UTC
Another option is to use the Webmin Perl module to retrieve the software from
CPAN. I used it when building
our server with Swish-E and I was able to get every Perl module without fail.

2004-01-26 12:41:49 UTC
Hello,
Post by Kaplan, Andrew H.
Another option is to use the Webmin Perl module to retrieve the software from
CPAN. I used it when building
our server with Swish-E and I was able to get every Perl module without fail.
Did you use "Webmin Perl module" to install cpan software on Windows?
Post by Kaplan, Andrew H.
I don't know how to actually install the packages, but I'm sure it's as
easy as
ppm install Spreadsheet-ParseExcel
ppm install Spreadsheet::ParseExcel
ppm requires a license of ASPN Perl. Seems to be a new fact.

[snip]
Bill Moseley
2004-01-26 13:52:28 UTC
Post by Marko Faldix
Post by Kaplan, Andrew H.
ppm install Spreadsheet-ParseExcel
ppm install Spreadsheet::ParseExcel
ppm requires a license of ASPN Perl. Seems to be a new fact.
Not ppm. That's part of their ActivePerl free download. Do you have a
URL that shows that has changed?

They do charge for all their developer tools, though. You also pay for
PerlEx for fast perl execution on IIS.

http://activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/

"we provide the ActivePerl packages free to the Perl community."

Features

* Platform Installers
* Core Perl
* Perl Package Manager (PPM) <<<<<<<
* Documentation

BTW -- to follow up on a thread from last week on IIS and the current
working directory, here's an old report:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q151/9/63.asp&NoWebContent=1

I assume they mean "relative" instead of "virtual". Also it doesn't
seem like it every got resolved -- other places I read that changing the
working directory would cause other scripts to then fail.
--
Bill Moseley
***@hank.org
Marko Faldix
2004-01-26 15:35:50 UTC

a few problems are solved!
Post by Bill Moseley
Post by Marko Faldix
Post by Kaplan, Andrew H.
ppm install Spreadsheet-ParseExcel
This didn't work for me - I had error message "Panic: Can't find bfs
section" whenever I called ppm on commandline.
Then I was a litte bit confused and thought it was the fact which was
mentioned during installation of ActivePerl-5.8 about ppm and licensing...
Post by Bill Moseley
Post by Marko Faldix
Post by Kaplan, Andrew H.
ppm install Spreadsheet::ParseExcel
ppm requires a license of ASPN Perl. Seems to be a new fact.
.. but it is not right. Only profile functionality requires license; ppm
works without it.
Post by Bill Moseley
Not ppm. That's part of their ActivePerl free download. Do you have a
URL that shows that has changed?
[snip]

After cleaning installation of ActivePerls ppm works now as easy as it was
an cpan installation under linux. I wasted no time and installed immediately

ppm> install Spreadsheet-ParseExcel

After reindexing I got all Microsoft Excel documents into it. The original
Open Office Org Table Document was not indexed, but it wasn't promised, or
should it be?

Marko Faldix
Marko Faldix
2004-01-27 19:48:59 UTC

[snip]
Post by Bill Moseley
I assume they mean "relative" instead of "virtual". Also it doesn't
seem like it every got resolved -- other places I read that changing the
working directory would cause other scripts to then fail.
--
Bill Moseley
Indeed. If programming in vbscript for IIS I always had to use

fullpath = Server.MapPath(relpath)

before writing to or reading from file fullpath, otherwise it fails.
Server.Mappath turns such like

/scripts/data/mycgi.txt
c:\inetsrv\scripts\data\mycgi.txt

David L Norris
2004-01-26 13:49:45 UTC
Post by Marko Faldix
Post by Kaplan, Andrew H.
ppm install Spreadsheet::ParseExcel
I guess ppm won't let you do that... You have to do a ppm search to
find the package name.
Post by Marko Faldix
ppm requires a license of ASPN Perl. Seems to be a new fact.
PPM requires you to use ActivePerl but it's never been limited to ASPN
subscribers as far as I know. ActivePerl is freely available
<http://www.activestate.com/Products/Download/Download.plex?id=ActivePerl>. I'm certainly not an ASPN subscriber and it works for me.

I just ran the following:

C:\SWISH-E\test>ppm rep
Repositories:
[1] ActiveState PPM2 Repository
[2] ActiveState Package Repository
[3] Autonamed 1

C:\SWISH-E\test>ppm search Excel
Searching in Active Repositories
1. Excel-Template [0.03] Excel::Template
2. Excel-Template [0.02] Excel::Template
3. Excel-Template [0.03] Excel::Template
4. Spreadsheet-ParseExcel [0.2602] Get information from Excel
file
5. Spreadsheet-ParseExcel [0.2602] Get information from Excel
file
6. Spreadsheet-ParseExcel-Simple [1.01] A simple interface to
Excel data
7. Spreadsheet-ParseExcel_XLHTML [0.02] Parse Excel Spreadsheets
using xlhtml
8. Spreadsheet-WriteExcel [0.42] Write to a cross platform
Excel binary file
9. Spreadsheet-WriteExcel [0.41] (none)
10. Spreadsheet-WriteExcel [0.42] Write to a cross platform
Excel binary file
11. Spreadsheet-WriteExcel-FromDB [0.09] Convert a database table
to an Excel spreadsheet
12. Spreadsheet-WriteExcel-FromXML [1.02] Create Excel Spreadsheet
from XML
13. Spreadsheet-WriteExcel-FromXML [1.01] Create Excel Spreadsheet
from XML
14. Spreadsheet-WriteExcel-FromXML [1.02] Create Excel Spreadsheet
from XML
15. Spreadsheet-WriteExcel-Simple [0.03] A simple single-sheet
Excel document
16. XML-Excel [0.02] Perl extension converting
Excel files to XML
17. XML-Excel [0.02] (none)
18. XML-SAXDriver-Excel [0.06] SAXDriver for converting
Excel files to XML
19. XML-SAXDriver-Excel [0.06] (none)

C:\SWISH-E\test>ppm install Spreadsheet-ParseExcel
====================
Install 'IO-stringy' version 2.108 in ActivePerl 5.8.0.806.
====================
Installing E:\Perl\html\site\lib\IO\AtomicFile.html
Installing E:\Perl\html\site\lib\IO\InnerFile.html
Installing E:\Perl\html\site\lib\IO\Lines.html
Installing E:\Perl\html\site\lib\IO\Scalar.html
Installing E:\Perl\html\site\lib\IO\ScalarArray.html
Installing E:\Perl\html\site\lib\IO\Stringy.html
Installing E:\Perl\html\site\lib\IO\Wrap.html
Installing E:\Perl\html\site\lib\IO\WrapTie.html
Installing E:\Perl\site\lib\IO\AtomicFile.pm
Installing E:\Perl\site\lib\IO\InnerFile.pm
Installing E:\Perl\site\lib\IO\Lines.pm
Installing E:\Perl\site\lib\IO\Scalar.pm
Installing E:\Perl\site\lib\IO\Scalar.pm.html
Installing E:\Perl\site\lib\IO\ScalarArray.pm
Installing E:\Perl\site\lib\IO\Stringy.pm
Installing E:\Perl\site\lib\IO\Wrap.pm
Installing E:\Perl\site\lib\IO\WrapTie.pm
Successfully installed IO-stringy version 2.108 in ActivePerl 5.8.0.806.
====================
Install 'OLE-Storage_Lite' version 0.11 in ActivePerl 5.8.0.806.
====================
Installing E:\Perl\html\site\lib\OLE\Storage_Lite.html
Installing E:\Perl\site\lib\OLE\Storage_Lite.pm
Successfully installed OLE-Storage_Lite version 0.11 in ActivePerl
5.8.0.806.
====================
Install 'Spreadsheet-ParseExcel' version 0.2602 in ActivePerl 5.8.0.806.
====================
Installing E:\Perl\html\site\lib\Spreadsheet\ParseExcel.html
Installing E:\Perl\html\site\lib\Spreadsheet\ParseExcel\SaveParser.html
Installing E:\Perl\html\site\lib\Spreadsheet\ParseExcel\Utility.html
Installing E:\Perl\site\lib\Spreadsheet\ParseExcel.pm
Installing E:\Perl\site\lib\Spreadsheet\ParseExcel\Dump.pm
Installing E:\Perl\site\lib\Spreadsheet\ParseExcel\FmtDefault.pm
Installing E:\Perl\site\lib\Spreadsheet\ParseExcel\FmtJapan.pm
Installing E:\Perl\site\lib\Spreadsheet\ParseExcel\FmtJapan2.pm
Installing E:\Perl\site\lib\Spreadsheet\ParseExcel\FmtUnicode.pm
Installing E:\Perl\site\lib\Spreadsheet\ParseExcel\SaveParser.pm
Installing E:\Perl\site\lib\Spreadsheet\ParseExcel\Utility.pm
Successfully installed Spreadsheet-ParseExcel version 0.2602 in
ActivePerl 5.8.0.806.
--
David Norris
http://www.webaugur.com/dave/